1301 was the starting point of Jaunpils castle building mentioned in historical sources; the master of Livonian order at that time was Gotfried fon Roga (1298-1306). The castle was a helping hand to the comturey of Dobele. The castle had stone walls which were rendered and in some places are up to 2.1 m thick. Jaunpils castle served as fortress and residence for a small military unit, order’s monks, and aged knights belonging to the Livonian order.
When the fire-arms developed at the end of the 15th.century, the round corner tower with portholes was attached to the castle. The castle was surrounded by water moats and the only castle entrance was a lifting bridge and vaulted gate.
Since 1545 Evert fon Siren, last but one comtur of Dobele had lived in the castle; his name is associated with the first reconstruction of the castle for living needs.
1548 - Evert fon Siren established the constant priest’s position, and the chapel was built in the castle.
1576 – Tiss fon Reke signed an official reconciliation with duke Kettler which resulted in the castle and 13 square miles large district with 17 manors becoming fon Reke’s property and remaining in his possession till Latvian agrarian reform in 1922.
1592 – The starting point of building Jaunpils church.
A medieval castle-fortress has been transformed into the residence of wealthy nobility. The hand-to-hand fight between Matias fon Reke and the king of Sweden, Carl IX occurred in 1605. Reke won the king’s precious silver sword and battle helmet. After this battle 300 Swedish captives were brought to Jaunpils to assist building the Swedish wall, to dig moats and bulwarks.
1625- The Swedes taking revenge on Reke completely destroyed Jaunpils. The reconstruction of the castle was accomplished – the third floor was added to the existing building, the inner yard was decorated by a colonnade which seemed even more impressive due to immense granite stairs, the annex- kitchen was built. The shape Jaunpils had in the 17th.century remained unchanged till the revolution in 1905, when the castle was burnt down by revolutionists.
1648 – Matias Ditrih I fon der Reke on his wedding day presented an altar and pulpit to Jaunpils church which can still be observed there.
1771- George Peter Magnus fon der Reke married Elisa Medem. She resided in the castle from 1771- 1776. After having divorced George she became popular as a poetess, publicist, and social worker. Nowadays Jaunpils castle keeps memories of this eminent woman, and there is the portrait of Elisa in the castle painted by M.Brašmane.
1871- The “Song Day” took place in the park of Jaunpils manor. The participants were choirs from Irlava, Lestene, Biksti. The chief conductor was Jānis Bētiņš.
In the dead of the night on December 24, 1905 , revolutionists set fire to Jaunpils castle. In one night’s time the castle which had proudly stood more than five centuries was completely destroyed.
1907- The reconstruction project of the castle developed by German architect George August was commenced.
1919.The family of Reke departed to Germany.
During the period of freedom in Latvia the castle building was used by livestock breeding school.
60s-70s the last reconstruction was carried out in the castle- the premises for the needs of livestock breeding experiment station were built. There was a piece of art called “Madonna with the Child” found in the castle hall under lime plaster.
1997 - The castle becomes a property of the local government.
In order to run management of the castle the local authority (p/a)“Jaunpils” was established in 2003. Within the structure of this local government there are such units as museum, culture centre, library and SIA “Jaunpils pils”, which deals with hotels, organizes excursions, banquets, and other activities.
Jaunpils castle takes active part in activities organized by Association of Latvian Castles, Palaces and Manors. Having participated in the action “Visit Castles and Palaces in Latvia!” ("Apceļosim Latvijas pilis un muižas") Jaunpils castle was nominated “The Most Hospitable Castle” and “The Best Guides”.
Look the Gallery: